Outrage After Harare Man Accused of Misusing US$2,000 Funeral Repatriation Fund
- Southerton Business Times

- 5 days ago
- 2 min read

A Harare man is facing intense public backlash after allegedly misappropriating nearly US$2,000 raised to repatriate the body of a deceased friend from South Africa to Zimbabwe, leaving the bereaved family scrambling to secure alternative burial funds. Douglas Matadi is accused of mismanaging US$1,975 collected through a GoFundMe campaign intended to transport the body of Farai Mushamba from Cape Town to Bikita, Masvingo, for burial. The family claims that after demanding accountability, only US$380 was initially returned, forcing them to mobilise emergency resources to bury Mushamba on January 10.
The matter has since been reported to the police and is under investigation at Harare Central Police Station under case number CR1008/01/26. “This Was a Funeral, Not a Business Deal”
Family spokesperson Arthur Mushamba, the deceased’s elder brother, said Matadi was entrusted with the funds because of long-standing personal and community ties.
“We trusted him because this was a funeral. We come from the same village in Bikita and we just call each other brothers,” Mushamba said.“While we were running around organising burial logistics, he was busy enriching himself.”
According to the family, police involvement prompted Matadi to begin repaying the funds in instalments. Records show he returned US$100 on January 20, US$282 on January 21, and US$372 on February 2. In total, US$1,134 has so far been repaid, leaving US$843 still unaccounted for. Matadi has reportedly attributed the missing funds to a “mistaken transfer” to the wrong account, an explanation the family says lacks credibility.
“He gave us flimsy excuses, claiming the technology betrayed him, and even threatened us by saying we could not get him arrested,” Mushamba said.
Admission in WhatsApp Messages
Screenshots of messages sent to the family WhatsApp group show Matadi admitting wrongdoing and promising to repay the outstanding balance.
“I admit the wrongdoing on my part. I used the wrong technology. I will get back the funds,” Matadi wrote.
The incident has sharply divided mourners and community members, with some calling for Matadi’s immediate arrest, while others argue he should be allowed to explain himself fully through legal channels. The family says it has opted to leave the matter entirely in the hands of law enforcement.
Wider Questions of Trust and Accountability
The case has reignited debate around accountability in crowdfunding initiatives, particularly those involving funerals and repatriation of bodies, moments when families are most vulnerable.
As online fundraising becomes more common in Zimbabwe, the Mushamba family’s ordeal highlights the risks of informal financial arrangements and the need for greater transparency when handling funds meant for grieving families. Police investigations are ongoing.
Harare man's funeral funds scandal





Comments