top of page

Paul Tungwarara Donates 50 Buses to Transport Returning Zimbabweans from Beitbridge to Manicaland

  • Writer: Southerton Business Times
    Southerton Business Times
  • Jun 30
  • 2 min read
Paul Tungwarara announcing transport assistance for returnees.

MUTARE – ZANU PF Central Committee member and Presidential Special Advisor on Investment Paul Tungwarara has donated 50 buses to transport Zimbabwean nationals from Manicaland who are returning from South Africa through Beitbridge Border Post. The initiative comes as increasing numbers of Zimbabweans voluntarily return home amid heightened immigration enforcement in South Africa, with provincial authorities saying about 200 returnees from Manicaland have so far been identified at Beitbridge and are awaiting transport.


Speaking during the announcement, Tungwarara said the buses would transport returnees free of charge to their respective districts across Manicaland Province. He added that beneficiaries would also receive meals, acknowledging that many of those returning were arriving in difficult circumstances after leaving South Africa.

"We have Manicaland returnees stranded at the border, and we met as leadership and resolved to deploy buses from the Women's League, Youth League and Main Wing to rescue them and take them to their districts in the province free of charge. We have given Cde Mupfumi the green light to deploy up to 50 buses," Tungwarara said.

He said beneficiaries would be required to produce valid Zimbabwean national identity cards confirming residence in one of Manicaland's seven districts before boarding the buses.


The transport initiative follows growing numbers of Zimbabweans seeking voluntary repatriation as uncertainty continues over immigration enforcement measures in South Africa.

ZANU PF Manicaland provincial chairperson Tawanda Mukodza welcomed the donation, describing it as a timely intervention that would ease the burden on vulnerable citizens returning home.

"These are our people, our children, and we cannot leave them stranded at the border without dignity or support," Mukodza said.

He said provincial structures had already put logistical arrangements in place to ensure all verified returnees were transported safely to their home districts at no cost.


Mukodza added that the programme reflected the party's commitment to assisting Zimbabweans in distress while helping reunite families separated by migration. Central Committee member and transport operator Isau Mupfumi, whose fleet will provide the buses, said the first group of returnees would begin travelling from Beitbridge on Tuesday.

"So far, there are 200 returnees at Beitbridge, and we are ready to deploy two buses immediately to collect and take them home. Some had already dispersed because they were unaware of this programme," Mupfumi said.

He said additional buses would remain on standby to accommodate more returnees as they arrive at the border.


Mupfumi also announced that Young Women 4ED would deploy five buses to assist female cross-border traders and other women returning from South Africa. The latest initiative comes as Zimbabwean authorities continue working with humanitarian organisations and development partners to facilitate the safe repatriation and reintegration of returning citizens through Beitbridge Border Post.


Government statistics released this week show that thousands of Zimbabweans have already returned home voluntarily, with reception centres and provincial authorities coordinating transport, food assistance and onward travel to communities across the country.

advert



Paul Tungwarara donates 50 buses


Comments

Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page