top of page

Bulawayo Man Accused of Luring Stranded Women Before Alleged Rapes Appears in Court

  • Writer: Southerton Business Times
    Southerton Business Times
  • Jun 26
  • 2 min read

Renkini Bus Terminus in Bulawayo where one complainant allegedly sought transport.

A 42-year-old Bulawayo man has appeared before the courts facing four rape charges after allegedly preying on women who were stranded at night by pretending to help them find transport home. Alphios Chitsa appeared before Bulawayo Regional Magistrate Taurai Manuwere on Tuesday, where he was remanded in custody until July 6, 2026. He was not asked to plead as the matter is still before the court.


According to prosecutor Concilia Ncube, the accused allegedly targeted women travelling alone after they failed to secure transport from Bulawayo's city centre. The State alleges that Chitsa used offers of assistance to gain the women's trust before luring them to secluded areas behind Mpilo Central Hospital, where the offences allegedly occurred.


The court heard that the first incident occurred on February 11 at around 9 pm. The complainant was reportedly walking along Luveve Road after leaving the old Renkini bus terminus while looking for transport to Lobengula West. Prosecutors allege Chitsa approached her and offered to help carry a sack of green mealies she was carrying.

"The accused approached the complainant and offered to help carry her sack of green mealies," prosecutor Ncube told the court.

He allegedly suggested they walk together to Emakhandeni (Emachipsini), claiming transport was readily available there. Instead, the State says he diverted her to a bushy area behind Mpilo Central Hospital, where he allegedly raped her before stealing her cellphone. The complainant later reported the matter to the police and subsequently identified Chitsa during an identification parade.


The court heard that on March 16 at around 4 pm, Chitsa allegedly approached an 18-year-old woman in Bulawayo's central business district. He reportedly told her he was visiting his mother, who had been admitted to Mpilo Central Hospital, and persuaded her to accompany him. After travelling together by commuter omnibus, prosecutors allege he led the complainant to a secluded area behind the hospital where he raped her. The State further alleges that he dragged her into an abandoned room nearby and raped her a second time before releasing her the following morning.


According to the prosecution, another incident occurred on June 4 at around 10 pm near the Tredgold Building. The complainant, aged 22, had allegedly failed to find transport to Nyamandlovu when Chitsa offered her accommodation for the night. The court heard that he then claimed his vehicle was parked at Mpilo Central Hospital before leading her there. Prosecutors allege Chitsa produced an Okapi knife, raped the complainant in nearby bushes, and later took her to an abandoned room where he allegedly raped her again.


The fourth charge also relates to events on June 4 involving another 22-year-old woman who was allegedly stranded near the Tredgold Building while trying to travel to Nyamandlovu. The State alleges Chitsa again offered overnight accommodation before taking the complainant to Mpilo Central Hospital. According to prosecutors, he allegedly attempted to rape the woman twice, but she resisted and managed to prevent the assaults before he eventually abandoned his attempts. The accused remains in custody and is expected to return to court on July 6 as investigations continue.


advert



Bulawayo rape case


Comments

Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page