Inter Africa Bus Crew in Court Over Illegal Transportation of Explosives on Public Bus
- Southerton Business Times

- 15 hours ago
- 2 min read

Three men, including an Inter Africa bus driver and conductor, have appeared in court in Bulawayo after police allegedly intercepted explosives being transported illegally on a public service vehicle travelling to Mangwe District.
The accused Giant Mudimba (49), Takunda Dzichauya (24), and Brighton Michael Chimbidzikai (40) appeared before Western Commonage magistrate Jeconia Prince Ncube facing charges of unlawfully carrying or transporting explosives in a public transport vehicle. According to prosecutors, the incident has raised renewed concerns over illegal explosives transportation in Zimbabwe, particularly following recent deadly incidents linked to hazardous materials on public roads.
State prosecutor Tafara Dzimbanhete told the court that Mudimba allegedly obtained 123 emulites and 100 capped fuses before arranging for the explosives to be transported from Bulawayo to Mangwe District aboard an Inter Africa bus. The court heard that on May 13, 2026, Mudimba allegedly took the explosives to the Inter Africa loading point along Lobengula Street between 12th and 13th Avenue in Bulawayo.
Authorities allege the explosives were loaded onto a bus, registration number AGL 6241, driven by Chimbidzikai while Dzichauya worked as conductor. Mudimba reportedly remained behind in Bulawayo after the bus departed. Police later intercepted the bus at a security roadblock during a routine search operation. Officers allegedly discovered the explosives concealed inside a brown sack. Dzichauya and Chimbidzikai denied knowingly transporting explosives, arguing in court that they were unaware of the contents of the package loaded onto the bus. The two were each granted US$30 bail and remanded to May 27, 2026, for trial.
Mudimba pleaded guilty and was remanded in custody for sentencing.
The recovered explosives, valued at approximately US$300, included mining-related detonating materials commonly used in quarrying and small-scale mining operations. Following the arrest, Zimbabwe Republic Police national spokesperson Paul Nyathi warned transport operators against illegally transporting dangerous substances on passenger vehicles. Nyathi said the transportation of explosives, detonators, cyanide, and other hazardous chemicals without proper permits poses a serious threat to public safety.
“Offenders will be arrested and prosecuted without fear or favour,” Nyathi warned.
Police also cautioned mining companies, chemical suppliers, and distributors against selling explosives to individuals or entities without valid licences and legal authority.
The arrests come amid intensified police operations targeting illegal explosives transportation in Zimbabwe following a fatal explosion along the Bulawayo-Esigodini Road last month. Authorities said the blast, involving a Toyota Quantum vehicle, killed all passengers on board and highlighted the growing dangers associated with the unlawful handling of hazardous mining materials. Security analysts say illegal explosives trafficking remains a growing concern in Zimbabwe due to expanding artisanal mining activities and weak compliance monitoring in some areas. Transport and mining safety experts have repeatedly warned that public transport vehicles are not equipped to safely carry explosive substances, particularly alongside passengers.
Inter Africa bus explosives
Zimbabwe News, Bulawayo, Inter Africa Bus, Explosives, ZRP, Crime News, Mining, Public Transport, Court News, Mangwe District





Comments