top of page

SAHRC Condemns Violence Against Foreign Nationals, Urges Calm and Rule of Law

  • Writer: Southerton Business Times
    Southerton Business Times
  • 2 days ago
  • 2 min read
Community members gathered during anti-violence campaign in South Africa

The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) has condemned violent attacks reportedly targeting foreign nationals in parts of South Africa, warning that the incidents threaten constitutional values and social cohesion.


In a statement issued on Wednesday, the Commission said it was “deeply alarmed” by reports and circulating videos showing attacks allegedly linked to anti-immigrant tensions, particularly in KwaZulu-Natal. The rights body urged communities to remain calm and warned against vigilantism, hate speech and mob justice.

“The Commission reaffirms that members of the public may raise grievances and protest, but such actions must remain peaceful and lawful,” the SAHRC said. “Violence, intimidation, hate speech, looting, and property destruction are unacceptable and constitute serious human-rights violations and criminal conduct.”

The Commission called on the South African Police Service (SAPS) and the Minister of Police to intervene swiftly to contain the violence in KwaZulu-Natal and prevent similar incidents from spreading to other provinces.


The statement comes amid renewed debate in South Africa over illegal migration, unemployment and crime, issues that have increasingly fueled tensions between local communities and foreign nationals. According to the SAHRC, criminal acts allegedly committed by some non-nationals should not be used to justify attacks on entire communities.

“Anyone with knowledge of a criminal act, whether committed by a South African or a non-national, should report it to the South African Police Service for investigation,” the Commission said.

“Taking the law into one’s own hands may lead to attacks on people, exacerbate disharmony, and defeat the ends of justice.”

Videos circulating on social media this week appeared to show groups of people attacking shops and individuals believed to be foreign nationals. Community activists in KwaZulu-Natal have also raised concerns over growing tensions in several townships.


Political analyst Dr Ongama Mtimka told local broadcasters that economic hardship and unemployment were contributing to social frustration, but warned that violence against migrants could worsen instability.

“South Africa’s socio-economic challenges cannot be resolved through xenophobic violence. Sustainable solutions require effective governance, economic reform and proper law enforcement,” he said in commentary carried by regional media outlets.

Human-rights organisations including Amnesty International have previously warned that xenophobic violence in South Africa damages the country’s international image and undermines constitutional protections for all residents.


The SAHRC also called on community leaders, civil society organisations and residents to promote dialogue, tolerance and peaceful conflict resolution. It acknowledged ongoing public concerns over porous borders, illegal migration, hijacked buildings, human trafficking and gender-based violence, but stressed that such issues must be addressed through lawful channels and government institutions.


“Non-nationals, like South Africans, have a duty to abide by the laws and regulations of the country,” the Commission said. “Anyone alleged to have committed a crime, irrespective of nationality, should be subject to the rule of law, with arrest and trial in a court of law.”

The Commission added that South Africa’s democracy depends on protecting the rights and dignity of everyone living in the country, regardless of nationality.




SAHRC



South Africa News, SAHRC, Xenophobia, KwaZulu-Natal, Foreign Nationals, SAPS, Human Rights, African News, Immigration, Breaking News


Comments

Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page